1. Don’t! Don’t even try to cheer up, not yet… just wallow in your own misery for a bit. (For me, this is about 1-2 hours max once I’ve actually recognized I’m down in the dumps.) Okay, so we all know we will cheer up eventually but there is something healing and authentic about feeling our feelings, accepting the fact that we can’t be happy all the time and making peace with it.
2. Tell someone why you’re down. Not everyone (the whole world doesn’t need to know) but at least one or two people close to your heart… chances are, they’ve detected it already anyway. If you don’t have at least one or two folks in your life who get you, it’s time to reach out. Friends and loved ones are one key to your life’s happiness. If you do, be thankful for them!
3. Watch, read or listen to something inspiring! Seriously, you can Google “inspiring talks” or “pep talks” or something specific that you know inspires you and have your pick! You don’t have to spend a lot of time on this, just enough to get your mind back to a positive thought or two.
4. Go outside or at least open a window if you can. If you don’t like to exercise then don’t exercise. Maybe you just need to sit and breathe. Whatever you choose to do out there, try to enjoy some fresh air for at least five minutes.
5. Do something kind, nothing too extravagant! A quick text to let someone know you appreciate them, a shoulder rub or hug for someone close by, eye contact when someone is talking to you, a little chore to help out… you get the idea. Just a tiny kindness to brighten someone’s day.
*I also like to pray through each of these steps. Running to our loving Father who always has open arms of love and Grace is the very best place we can go through all the ups and downs of life.
If you’re not cheering up by the end of this list, leave a comment and I’ll send you some extra encouragement.
If you are experiencing depression, severe anxiety or similar feelings, please reach out to a local expert. The advice above is simply for down days and those bummer moments in life. I hope it helps. I pray God’s peace and blessing for you today and always.
*Bonus! – Do something creative… write, paint, sculpt, draw, sing or whatever makes you feel fully alive!